Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Gwen's First Sick Day

We had a great, relaxing fall weekend. Adam, Gwen and I had Shawna over for dinner, we went to the farmers market, we made a nice dinner Saturday night, we took walks, I got to have a "day off" to go to Oakbrook to shop with my cousin Emily, etc.

Gwen has been working on getting her K-9's for awhile now, so she has been getting up pretty early and been a little fussier than usual. She's already been a bit fussier from teething, so when she got a slight cold Monday, it didn't really seem to make her act any different. Then Tuesday morning, her cold was worse and she was kind of uncomfortable when we went to storytime, but she was still acting happy, laughing, dancing, trying to take other kids' toys, etc, so I assumed she just had a cold. I laid her down for her nap, the babysitter got here, and I left for work.

When I got home, she was on the couch not playing, liquid was running out of her eyes with green goop in the corners, she was coughing, and had green snot dripping down to her lip. She looked so miserable. We took her temp and when it went to 99, we didn't even wait to finish the reading and headed to prompt care.

I assumed we would get there and they would give us something to help with her cold, but it didn't occur to me that she would have an ear infection or pink eye (I have never really seen what pink eye looks like). I felt sooooo bad! I just assumed the tiny bit of fussiness was from teething, but she had ear infections in both ears :( And I felt bad also that I had taken her to storytime and had the babysitters come, when pink eye is so contagious (I have no clue where she got it from).

Anyways, we headed to the pharmacy to get prescriptions and I called into work today to stay home with her. She has slept a lot today, is still coughing and stuffed up, but her eyes look WAY better (still a little red, but no green and not as much liquid).

I guess getting her first sickness at 14 months isn't too bad, but I wish it wasn't all of this at once!

No comments: