Wednesday, July 16, 2008

3 years ago...

Yesterday was exactly 3 years after Adam and my first date. In honor of the occasion, we did some reliving of that magical day. Before we went to work, Adam walked into the bedroom wearing the same shirt he wore on our first date (over his work jeans and neon orange shirt, pretty stylish, haha). It made me laugh. Then we went for Japanese food for dinner because our first date in Champaign was at a Japanese restaurant (Kofusion).

It's weird because it seems like we've been together for way more than 3 years, but in a way I feel like our first date was just yesterday. For those of you who don't know the story of how we met (and so when my grandkids ask me how we met I have the story recorded in case I forget), here it is. For those of you who know it, stop reading cause it's a long story!

July 15, 2005-The Best Day of Adam's Life
I was scheduled to babysit for Adam's sister Robin's kids, who I watched all through college. Robin called me to tell me that her brother would be stopping by while I was babysitting to see the new baby Reese and that I might want to look cute because she wanted to set us up, haha. I had met him before briefly and thought he was cute but I wasn't sure I wanted to go on a "blind date." I thought it would be weird but I figured I could talk to Robin about it when I got there. When I got to their house, though, Adam was already there! Robin left and we babysat together and didn't talk much besides typical stranger conversation, so I definitely thought the whole set up idea wasn't going to happen. Finally Robin got home and wasn't paying me like she usually did right away, haha, I think she was stalling and hoping Adam would suck it up and ask me out, but he didn't! So she told Adam that maybe he should go out with my friends and me tonight and maybe he should take me out to dinner first. I was so embarressed, but Adam agreed. I gave him directions to my apartment and we made plans to go out to dinner then meet my friends out at a bar.

On my way home I called my friends and told them they HAD to meet us out incase it was totally awkward. I got ready and Panichi and Amy helped me pick out my outfit and I was sort of freaking out when he called to say he was there. Amy and Panichi were in Panichi's bedroom window looking out to catch a glimpse of him like two little kids, haha. Anyhow, he was dressed pretty cute and didn't smell bad, so that was a start. At dinner, the conversation flowed pretty well, not awkward at all. The more we talked though, the more I thought he seemed like a good guy. When we met up with my friends, he was so nice to them too and I could tell he liked to have a good time-two of my most important traits for a guy to have. We stayed out late, drank a lot, and I had a great time! I didn't know if anything would really come of it though...

He called me the next day to tell me what a good time he had, then we talked on the phone all that week, then he came back to visit the next weekend, then we saw eachother every weekend until he moved to San Diego, then we did the whole long distance thing, and NOW we have been married for almost 9 months!

All because Robin had the nerve to ask me on a date for her brother :)

3 comments:

Katie said...

i think it seems like WAY longer than 3 years. it's defenitly a good story :-)

cute update on the blog. i need matt to help me on mine, i'm not too great with computers.

Felipe Magalhães said...

Ouuunnn...that's so cuuute!!...but the good relationships always start like that...kinda awkward...lol...kisses

The Ralph Family said...

well, I'm glad Robin set you up too! You are a great sister-in-law!

See you in a few weeks...