Monday, January 12, 2009

Human Jukebox

I had heard about this bar/restaurant called the Imperial House (and walked by it TONS of times cause it is only a few blocks away). Anyways, the buzz about this place is that it's San Diego's classic, untouched, old-school bar and it is the home of the human jukebox.

We decided to go here Friday cause I was curious. When we walked in, it looked exactly how I pictured-dark wood, dark leather booths, dark in general, with a large piano waiting for Rick Lyon to play. He is called the human jukebox because supposedly he knows every song that is requested. I thought this was cool and pictured an old, silver haired, handsome man (Frank Sinatra-ish).

When Rick "the human jukebox" Lyon showed up though, he was not what I expected, haha. He was probably in his 50's, had uncombed longer hair and scruffy facial hair, was about 50 pounds overweight, and wearing a plaid shirt with a tie! So funny. I did write down some songs for him to play on a napkin and he did know them. All in all, we had some STRONG drinks, listened to some good tunes, and of course had the regulars chatting it up-a good time!

Saturday night we didn't want to do much so since we had so much fun playing games last weekend, Adam and I went to Target and bought Scattergories and played a 2 person tourney. 18 rounds later we were ready to go to bed!

Sunday we went to church and for brunch at an awesome place called Cafe Chloe. Then of course I watched the Golden Globes Red Carpet show for about 4 hours (I love award season!).

Today I cried because the weekend was over.

3 days til Chicago!

1 comment:

Katie said...

i can't believe you're going to chicago! have fun, come this way next!!!!!