Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Importance of Water...

I started my new job last week and loved it. Of course, since it's a clinic with a very poor population, the no-show rate is about 50%. I had 4 patients scheduled and 2 showed, both hispanic pregnant women-one I think was doing very well for herself and the other needed mucho mucho help. Since I had two hours of no patients, I had some free time to orient myself with the nutrition counseling room. I had a good amount of time to look at all of the resources they have for pregnant women on all sorts of topics like food safety, getting enough folate, and the importance of hydration and WATER...

Speaking of water...the day after I was reading up on how important it is I learned just how much of a role water plays in my life. I was doing my normal Friday routine (clean up the house a little, put in a load of laundry, go work out, put next load in when I get home) and went to put in my second load of laundry when the machine wouldn't work. I was confused because my first load worked fine so I went back into the house. I turned on the sink to refill our water pitcher but no water would come out. Pretty odd that the laundry machine and the sink, which I had been using all morning, didn't work. I then tried the bathroom sink, the shower, the toilet and realized we had no water.

Turns out our top notch landlord (yep, the same one who still hasn't fixed our sink in our bathroom that has been leaking since Feb 08, sits in the backyard smoking cigars, and is altogether a huge creep) forgot for the second time since we have lived in our house to pay the water bill. AND to top it off, us and the neighbors tried calling multiple times and he would not answer his phone. He finally called back Saturday and claimed that he didn't get any of the 100 messages we all left and was going to pay it then, but we already had talked to the water authority and they couldn't turn it back on until Monday. He is the biggest loser I know and I can't wait til we buy our own place!

Anyways, until you don't have water, you do not realize how much of a necessity it is! We went and bought a few jugs of water and I showered at my gross gym showers that Friday, but cooking/dishes, brushing our teeth, showering for Adam, and going to the bathroom become huge dilemas. We finally broke down Saturday and went to stay in a hotel and are planning on attaching our receipt and taking it out of our rent. I wanted to order the most expensive room service items just to spite John the Landlord, but Adam thought that was inappropriate.

Yesterday before work the water still wasn't on, so I washed my face and brushed my teeth with a bowl of bottled water and left for work probably not looking the best ever, but when I got home the water was back on!

I can now say that I have a much greater appreciation for the modern luxury of running water! I don't think I have ever enjoyed doing dishes and laundry as much as I did yesterday when I got home!

2 comments:

kkb said...

yuck! what a pain in the a**!!! luckily you are naturally cute b/c i think people would run if i showed up to work without showering :)

Katie said...

that is so annoying. there have been a few times that matt turns off our water for a few minutes, b/c he is doing some sort of project... and i always go crazy! glad it's fixed!