Friday, August 27, 2010

Gwen's First Week

Gwen is 9 days old today and every day has been wonderful! Here are a few highlights of her first week.

My mom's visiting, so we have been taking her on at least one outing every day to make sure she is used to noise and being out and about. Adam, my mom, and I took her out to dinner and she was perfect. She sat in her carseat and slept the whole time!




This may be TMI, but the only problem I have had as a mother so far is with milk production. Gwen has latched on and is so good at nursing and really likes it, but the problem is with me :( I am making barely any milk so at each feeding I have to nurse her, then we give her a bottle, then I pump. If I do a feeding by myself it takes a good hour and a half, so thank God for Adam and my mom. They have been taking shifts with bottles while I pump. The doctor says I still could start producing a sufficient amount of milk for her, but chances are that I have to give her formula on top of breast milk to make sure she is getting enough. I was pretty stressed and sad about this but am trying to stay positive because the doctor says being stressed about it will only make things worse. I am taking fenugreek and drinking non alcoholic beer throughout the day, both of which are supposed to help with milk stimulation and may take a week. I guess I should be happy that I can still nurse her at all, she loves it!

Gwenna got to take her first trip to the mall! She loves her stroller!


Diggy's doing pretty good with her. He is very curious about her and wants to sniff and lick her. We are still being cautious about how close he gets, but I think he is getting more and more used to her being around.


Robbie came over to visit!
This is one of my favorite gifts she has received. My mom got her a vintage lolly doll. Anyone who knew me as a little girl knows that I had my own lolly doll and it was my FAVORITE. It even was the theme of my first birthday party. I love that she has one of her own now :)


Most of all, her first week has been spent snuggling. I love her so much and am having such a great time being a mom.

2 comments:

Katie said...

One week from now, I'll be back in San Diego to snuggle her again!

Jessica Robertson said...

that stinks you are having issues with the milk production, but my friend Kara went through the same thing. She did the same things you are doing and her milk did come in and she was able to fully breast feed...so there is hope!! Hang in there!!! You guys look great! I'm making mental notes of your updates for next year!!