Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Dinner with Connor McLucky

Adam has grown to be good friends with this old Irish-Canadian man at work, Connor McLucky. We aren't exactly sure how old Connor is, but we're guessing mid to late 70's.

I had always heard about him from Adam and how he's this short little man with all these crazy stories. Adam didn't really know much about his family life but that his wife died years ago and that his two daughters live far away. He and Adam started being lunch buddies and go out to lunch together most days :)

Last winter, Connor asked Adam if we would like to go out to dinner with him on a Saturday. We had nothing going so we went to meet him at his favorite restaurant, Anthony's Fish Grotto (at about 5:30, haha). He was the cutest, nicest old man and it just made me sad for some reason. He calls Adam "son" and says things like "Eat another piece of bread, son, I know you have a good appetite." I asked him if he did anything for Christmas and he said, "No, not too much." I left with a really sad feeling.

A few months later we went on another date with Connor. This time he asked us if we would like to go to Cirque du Soleil. He LOVES the Cirque du Soleil; he had already seen this same show a few days before with some other friends and he gave Adam 2 DVD's of it to watch, haha. Connor drove us in his Mercedes, haha, and we listened to Willie Nelson on the way. Then he took us out to dinner at his favorite place, Anthony's Fish Grotto. I left sad again because he doesn't talk much, I think he just likes company around. I just feel like he's so lonely!

Anyways, Adam told me about a month ago that Connor finally decided to retire and that he's moving to be closer to his daughter (thank God!). I told Adam we should have him over for dinner before he leaves, so Adam suggested this to him and he said that we should just go to dinner at Anthony's instead, haha. He really likes this place. While we were at dinner he told us some stories, he was a miner and has been everywhere in the world, honestly! He even lived amongst a tribe in New Guinea once. He also told us about how he didn't see his family for 26 years and to make sure to "Keep in touch. That's important." He seemed sad about it. Right before we were going to leave he said really quietly, almost to himself while he was looking out the window, "Yep, I've done a lot of good things." It made me want to cry. I gave Connor a hug goodbye and wanted to cry again.

I told Adam, SOMEONE needs to write a book or movie or something about Connor's life. I wish I had a picture of him so you could see him, he's just this cute, plump, little jolly man with a thick Canadian accent. If there is anyone out there who has aspirations to be a famous writer, contact Adam to get Connor's info! He is such a unique, nice, cute old man with lots of good stories to tell!

1 comment:

Katie said...

i liked hearing stories about him, i'm sad he's retiring.