Monday, January 4, 2010

A White Christmas!

Today my wonderful time off for Christmas/New Years Break ends. I was so sad to come back to work. It was so nice to have freedom for two whole weeks. We had a great break, but sadly, all good things come to an end.

Our break started with a drive across the country. It was long and I realized how uncomfortable the seats in my car are, but we were lucky and made it there and back with no car troubles or tickets. Diggy was SOOOO good. He just sat inbetween us or in the back seat, napped, or played with his bones. He's easy to have anywhere.

Once we got to Illinois, we basically spent a few days just hanging out with my sisters' families, my parents, and my aunt Julie's family. I also had a baby shower for my friend Kristen, whose baby is due in March (pictures to come, they're on another camera). Then we were off to Indiana for Adam's family Christmas.

We spent the first day in Indiana with Adam's extended family. It was fun to see all of their kids who we hadn't seen since Christmas last year. We also got to go to his niece Rachel's basketball game. On Christmas Eve, we did the traditional Haubstadt thing to do and went to the townie bars, then had dinner and presents with his family. Santa came like always :)

On Christmas morning, we headed back to Illinois to spend Christmas with my family. They had done our traditional Christmas the night before with the "fancy" dinner, so this night my aunt's family came over and we just had appetizers. After they all left, we opened gifts. I got the kids puppets when we were in Vancouver at this huge toy shop, and surprisingly, they all liked them.
After Christmas, I went to an engagement party for my friends Darah and Evan, which was fun because I got to see lots of friends, then was supposed to go to Iowa for my mom's family Christmas, but for the second year in a row, the snow and bad roads stopped us from going. Unfortunately, we were supposed to go to Chicago the day after and cancelled that too. We didn't want to get into any car problems we didn't need to. So we took off to head West a day early.

On our way back, we did a more "fun" route and headed to Dallas, TX. We ate dinner at my sister and Jason's favorite restaurant from when they lived there, Houstons, which was delicious. The next day we headed to Austin, which was really neat, except it was pouring rain so we didn't get to enjoy it too much. Finally, we headed to Tucson to take a break from driving for a day and a half. We spent New Years Eve with Katie's family and some of their friends, then we headed back to San Diego.


We got back to San Diego with enough time to get settled, unpack/do laundry, and have a full weekend. It was sad for our trip to end, but nice to come back to beautiful weather.

Hope everyone had a great holiday season!

2 comments:

Katie said...

back in illinois they call it "seasonal" depression, but even in the nice, warm weather, i still feel kinda sad that all of the festivities are over :-( maybe we should call it "post holiday" depression~ i hate getting back into the same, old regular routine! if only we didn't have work, school, etc, but still had unlimited funds ;-)

kkb said...

glad you had a good trip back... that last pic makes me so jealous. still snowing here :)