Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Skin Issues

Both Diggy and I are suffering from some horrible skin problems.

If anyone remembers, this time last year I was a nervous wreck because Diggy started itching uncontrollably. It got so bad that he started scratching and licking to the point of making sores and bleeding. After a few vet visits and failed attempts to cure his itching (special creams, shampoos, a few special diets that he did not enjoy, extra flea treatments, etc.) the vet basically told me that it is just the season, give him some benadryl, and quit being so paranoid.

Well, time went on, seasons changed, he stopped itching, and I forgot about it-until about two weeks ago. The weather started getting warmer, spring arrived, and the itching began. It makes me feel sick for him, his hind legs are wet and sore from licking and scratching so hard at all times. His favorite things like playing fetch and treats won't even distract him. He LOVES to sleep and usually sleeps 75% of the day and 100% of the night, but I hear and feel his pain all through the night when he starts thumping away. I LOVE spring, but I almost want to fast forward so his misery can end!

I also have a skin issue, although completely different from Diggy, but probably equally as bad if not worse-I call it PRACNE or pregnancy acne. It's my one complaint of being pregnant; I didn't mind the the nausea, the tiredness, I don't mind my expanding stomach, I just can't stand the acne! If you look at my face, you probably think I am exaggerating this a bit. Although I currently do have a complection that is more puberty-like than 26 year old like, it's nothing I can't handle and nothing a little makeup can't cover up most days. Don't let that fool you; if you look at my back, neck, and chest, you can see the problem! It is so gross and makes me feel so dirty. I have become obsessed with showering, disinfecting, acne-creaming, anything I can find to try to stop this from continuing, but NOTHING helps. I asked my doctor hoping he had a magical cure or he'd assure me it would go away soon but all I got is that it's "normal" and "hormonal." Still, you would think it wouldn't be possible to get zits when you have the cleanest back, neck, face, and chest in the world. I heard it is an old wives tale that when you're pregnant with a boy you glow and when you're pregnant with a girl you send her beauty and you look worse than ever. Let's hope this acne just means I'm helping her get really cute!

I don't know which is worse, skin issues that make you FEEL bad or skin issues that make you LOOK bad. Let's just hope that the change in climate this weekend in Arizona makes us both feel better!

1 comment:

Katie said...

i wouldn't complain about the acne~ you look gorgeous for being 20+ wks preggo!